Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Confessions of Change...

I confess... I don't think I was at my best today...  I know I was not at my best today. We're in the middle of potty training and the day was spent trying to coerce Big Sis on the benefits of why 'tinkling' & 'stinkying' in the 'big potty' was the best thing since Elmo and Veggie Tales. It quickly turned into a battle of the wills. I had supplied her with the coziest of pottying experiences: she had her beverage of choice (juice) right next to her, a snack to accompany and keep the drinking going, a movie in her hand (courtesy of Pop via my cell phone), and the basket of Potty Presents all neatly wrapped waiting for the deposit to occur.



It never occurred.

Let me back up. The previous 5-7 days has been really great on the potty training front! We'd made great headway with practically no accidents until the last 24 hours.

Something snapped inside that little brain that made her realize she didn't like the change of not being in diapers... the only existence she has ever known for eliminating. And thus the battle had begun... a battle of the wills.

With a look of anxiety in her eye and a diaper in her hand, the little voice squeaks high and emphatically..."Change me, mommy. I don't want to be a big girl anymore; I want to wear a diaper. Change me on the changing table, mommy!"

How many times have we said to God, "God change me. I don't want to be like this anymore." In reality when we begin to feel the heat and the change actually taking place, we pull back. We recoil. We want to say, "I take it back!"

If you want to know how the story ends... well it is still going on. Zoe got her wish... I can't force her to go potty. She is back in diapers. God, too, will let us sit in our filth if we insist. God help us to be willing to change!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this is the whole analogy. The beautiful thing is God grows us all up in different ways which are beyond our control. Even when we can't see the end result or the finish line it is inevitably there. The same goes for potty training. I know (and am still experiencing) the woes of it. But our little ladies will keep growing and aging and will eventually just simply "be" potty-trained (At least we hope, because if they're 13 and still peeing their pants I'm pretty sure that's a whole other ballgame!) Hang in there! I know there are so many articles, books, thought processes and point of views out there for potty training. In the end it's a decision Zoe will have to make. Madison's still on the fence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Marcy - this is great! Definitely missing you right now! So interesting to see how our relationship with our kids as parents seems to constantly parallel our relationship with God. I seen to "get" God more now that K-bug is saying "no!" :) Much love, hugs, and kisses!

    ReplyDelete