Monday, February 7, 2011

Nebulizer Treatments: The Passage of Breath

Life's a busy mess. I was reminded of that today. I've always had trouble with living the 'slowed' life... I have what seems only one speed...5th gear, fast. I live life as if it is the 100 meter dash. And thus, I have trouble breathing. Taking time to just breath. Slow. Deep. Satisfying breaths. The kind of breathing that orients your life. The kind of breathing that says "life's not an emergency." The kind of breaths that are God-inspired, soul-rejuvenating, cell-regenerating kind of breaths.

“Little man” had his first of a series of nebulizer treatments today. With a history of asthma on both sides of the family, it appears he doesn’t stand a chance. With wheezed breaths and body tensed, clenched tight, held in a straight jacket of arms… blonde hair standing in contrast to his beet red body… it was the saddest sight. (Especially since I was the one having to administer and attempt to caress at the same time.) With eyes that screamed and the shrieking, quiver of a baby’s wail he flailed trying to break free from the mask over his mouth and nose.

After a long five minutes, his body relaxes as the treatment comes to a close. His breathing slows and eases, flowing free. We lock eyes for the first time in five minutes. We stare at one another. And I soak it up. This moment I want to remember. This moment I want to "breathe"... I want to slow... I want to thank God for 'little man.' I want to thank God for breath. 

3 comments:

  1. aww, poor little guy! glad he finally got to feeling better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh...MJYL ~ I had no idea! Sending you a big hug and wet kiss from your "niecey" Kaelyn! Praying for you and Little Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article. I’ve read in many other places before that but
    I did not get this type of effective and more useful text. It is really important now to
    vary your anchors as this seems more natural to user.
    This article helped me a lot to understand information.

    ReplyDelete